We thank you for supporting the trial changes to the South Coast line timetable. Our feedback is that it is very, very successful.
Listed below are further improvements requested by the community that we took to a meeting with a TfNSW officer on 22nd June 2016.
Most of the recommendations involve safety concerns for commuters and pedestrians.
The 2013 train timetable brought more unnecessary traffic movements to Thirroul which has a single access road through the suburb.
The geography of the area should be considered as a high priority. Access for emergency services in increasingly difficult or impossible.
1. Provide 5 morning and 5 evening peak hour express train stops at Bulli,
a. Bulli has 150 underutilised car parking places
b. Underutilised assets
c. Reduce road traffic congestion at Lawrence Hargrave drive, Princes highway intersection at Bulli Pass
d. Increasing population in suburbs south of Bulli Pass, Bulli Woonona and Corrimal.
2. Restore shorter waiting times at Thirroul for passengers connecting to express services.
a. See 4 comparison tables of waiting time for Austinmer and Bulli stations (4 pages)
b. Restore drop off and pick up of commuters northbound from feeder trains to platform 1 at Thirroul.
c. Passengers shouldn't have to use the overhead bridge or the lifts.
d. Passengers drive to Thirroul because of this wait time.
3. Excessive dwell times at Helensburgh should be reduced
4. Waterfall Station be the interchange hub station for northern trains instead of Helensburgh
a. Passengers feel unsafe safe due to isolation
b. Parking is inadequate
5. Increase the number of express services on the south Coast Line to half hourly as for Katoomba and Newcastle to Sydney Central.
6. Reintroduce pick up only (u) from Redfern, Wolli Creek, Hurstville, Sutherland and Waterfall weekdays services during afternoon peak hour from Bondi/Martin Place as well as the weekend afternoon services.
7. Reduce Overcrowding, Provide 8 carriage services for all afternoon, mid-week South Coast Express services from Bondi Junction/Martin Place and Sydney Central, especially the 3.22 pm from Central and the 3.55pm from Kiama are very overcrowded. Approximately an extra 120 people who don’t have seats each trip on weekdays. (unsure which trains are still 4 car sets)
8. Provide more parking close to the station
a. Unused NSW Trains vacant land.
b. In rail corridor, eastern of Thirroul station, west of Gibson Park
c. Handed over to Wollongong City Council as promised. (WCC Development Control Plan 2005)
9. Request an engineer’s report to investigate if trains can go faster on the South Coast line.
a. Installation of concrete sleepers and welded rail was competed over three years ago.
b. South Coast Line travel times should be able to be reduced.
10. Build a safe pedestrian path/tunnel under the road bridge in the rail corridor from the new Church Street car park to the station. A major pedestrian accident near the bridge would shut down Thirroul.
11. Establish a bus/train interchange on the western side of Thirroul station by extending Railway Street eighty metres one way to Wrexham road.
12. Provide Internet access on all South Coast trains
a. Notify delays, line work etc.
b. Rarely available between Waterfall and Coledale.
13. Supports the building of the Maldon Dombarton Rail Link
14. Introduction of electronic notice boards at North Wollongong Station
Thirroul Transport Committee
Neighbourhood Forum 3